In America we have 5 living adult generations: Greatest Generation, Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, Gen X and the Millennials. This is unprecedented in history. Our faith communities are one of the few places where all 5 generations still come together.
Fast Facts About Boomers (born between 1946 and 1964)
- Transformative generation
- The Boomers were the largest American generation (eclipsed by the Milennials), and they have changed every life stage they have marked.
- Boomers – particularly the leading edge – like the generations before them grew up in a Christian Culture, the trailing edge less so – many have rejected organized religion
- Negative experience of “church” as part of the “Man” – equal to the government as complicit societal suppression (Vietnam, etc.)
- More than any other generation have rejected the traditional faith of their parents, grandparents.